Table of Contents
We use science to address global problems and improve people’s lives.
Who we are
The Union of Concerned Scientists is a national nonprofit organization founded more than 50 years ago by scientists and students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Our mission: to use rigorous, independent science to solve our planet's most pressing problems. Joining with people across the country, we combine technical analysis and effective advocacy to create innovative, practical solutions for a healthy, safe, and sustainable future.
Today, we are a group of nearly 250 scientists, analysts, policy and communication experts dedicated to that purpose.
What we care about
Our founders knew science and evidence-based decision making was critical to solving many of the biggest challenges facing humankind. To make progress we would need to work persistently in the face of often daunting odds. That's just what we’ve done.
- We combat climate change and seek to alleviate harm caused by the heat, sea level rise, and other consequences of runaway emissions,
- We strive to develop sustainable ways to feed, power, and transport ourselves,
- We work to reduce the existential threat of nuclear war,
- We fight back when powerful corporations or special interests mislead the public on science, and
- We ensure our solutions advance racial and economic equity.
How we work
We don’t just use science to envision a better world—we work to achieve it.
- Analyze. Our experts undertake rigorous, independent research, analyzing pressing problems and developing innovative solutions that prioritize human health, and are both equitable and cost effective.
- Expose. When special interests release bogus studies, corporations sow doubt about science, or political operatives censor, manipulate, or undermine government science, UCS is there to set the record straight with the public, the news media, and our elected officials.
- Advocate. Our experienced researchers communicate to the media, to the public, and directly to key decision makers at the national, state, and local levels, advocating for changes in public policies and corporate practices.
- Activate. We mobilize our 500,000 supporters to press for specific changes that will result in healthier communities, sustainable environment, and a safer world. We also know the best way to achieve positive, lasting change is to work together with allies who bring diverse talents, knowledge, and experience to an issue. That’s why we are currently providing technical expertise and advocacy know-how to more than 1,500 local and national organizations.
We are funded solely by individuals and foundations. To protect our independence we do not accept corporate or government grants. Our supporters include everyday people who value rational, evidence-based decision making, as well as some of the nation’s top scientists.
- Partner with 1,500 organizations,
- Mobilize 25,000 Science Network members,
- Tap the strength of 500,000 activists,
- Extend our impact thanks to more than 120,000 committed donors.
UCS is a 501c3 nonprofit organization with the highest ranking from charity rating agencies for our responsible stewardship of donations and grants.